Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Donuts, the poor man variety! YUMMMMM!!!

A few weeks ago while browsing blog land I came across a post from The Momma Hen at Momma Hen's Frugal Life.  I absolutely love her blog.  She does some amazing stuff, in her home.  So go and check her out.  Well she had a post about these..... yummy poor man donuts. I wrote to her telling her that my mom would make these for us all the time, and that I was going home to make them. Weeeell it only took me a couple of weeks, but I finally remembered to buy the stuff last week.  The hubs had never eaten them as donuts before, so I made him some.  I don't know if this is done everywhere but they do serve fried biscuits dipped in sugar at some of the Chinese food buffets, you know....since I live in TX near Houston (aka the fattest city in the US, hmmm I wonder if we're still #1).  LOL!!

Here is what I used:
biscuits (homestyle)
cooking oil 
sugar/ cinnamon
butter


Open the biscuits and lay them out on a plate.



Now to make my donuts.  You can use your thumb or a soda top to make the holes.  I used the soda top.


When the oil is hot enough, carefully place the dough in the pan.



The yummy little things will cook up fast, so keep a close eye on them.  You want them a golden brown then flip and do the other side.  I had a slight casualty burn on one of the donuts, I turned away to mix the cinnamon and sugar. 


I don't know what happened to the picture but, put the donuts on a napkin to absorb the oil.  Melt some butter and mix up your sugar & cinnamon. The donuts will still be warm.  Carefully dip one side of the donut into the butter, then do the other side.  Then gently press it into the sugar, flip and repeat.



Can you see my casualty donut?



See all gone.....even with a few little burnt spots. Okay before you think OMG little piggy ate them all...they were really small and I helped out.  Hubby gave two thumbs up for these!  I can't make these all the time...it would really kill our diets.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. LOVE making donuts like this!

    Linking up at eatpray{read}love!

    http://www.thepeanutsgang.com/2012/03/cranberry-chocolate-quinoa-granola-bars.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura,

    Thanks for stopping by! They were really good!! I made some more with glaze...yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I'd love for you to link this up in Mommy Solutions! So fun! http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2012/03/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-37/

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete

i ♥ comments! so let me know what you think!
it's easier to reply to comments by email, so if you have no-reply I can't tell you how sweet your comment was.